In 2002, Odysseas Tsatalos was getting a Silicon Valley startup off the ground and wanted to collaborate with his friend Stratis Karamanlakis, an expert engineer. The only problem was that Stratis lived in Greece, and working with someone half a world away was pretty much unheard of at the time.
So they did what any enterprising tech-heads would do—they created a digital platform that would allow them to work together remotely. And that’s how oDesk began.
Through this experience, Odysseas and Stratis came to believe that online work would be the cornerstone of an emerging global meritocracy, one where businesses and freelancers would benefit equally from technology-driven work opportunities.
As our online workplace grew, a few simple principles were adopted to ensure success for all users, including the oDesk Guarantee that an hour worked is an hour paid, and an hour paid is an hour worked. In a nutshell, these are our beliefs:
As a Freelancer, you have the right to:
- Be paid for every hour worked—on time, every time
- Work where you want, when you want
- Set an hourly rate based on your skills, experience, and reputation
- Have access to the tools you need to build your business online
As a Client, you have the right to:
- Audit and pay only for hours worked
- Find the right person for the job, no matter where they live
- Build an online workforce, on-demand and on your own terms
- Manage and pay a global team with ease
Read ’em, live ’em...and love the way you work!