This project requires developing of a prototype of a technological solution which utilizes servlets, database and AJAX technologies for building multi-tier Web applications.
• The report is to describe the design of a simple auctioning system with a backend database and a Web front-end (mini-eBay) and its prototype implementation.
1. Design the architecture of a Web auctioning site.
2. Design a database for storing information about users, items, auctions and bidding.
3. Build a Web site for setting-up and maintenance of online auctions for selling items, utilizing synchronous server-side Java Web technologies.
4. Extend the client with an AJAX layer which allows one or more asynchronous operations.
1. Written report in Word format
1. The written report does not have fixed structure, but can provide information on the following issues:
• Database design (using a class diagram, or ER diagram, or data diagram, or SQL DDL script)
• Web site design (using UML State Transition diagram or a simple page navigation map)
• Program description showing the flow of events during bidding (using UML sequence diagram)
• A full walkthrough of the working with the system (set of screen dumps)
• The software deployment (servers, libraries and application components installation and configuration)
2. The database for storing auctioning information should be build using an ODBC database such as MS Access, a native Java DB such as Derby, or a standard SQL DB such as MySQL. It should contain at least 4 tables for storing the description of auction items, personal information about the bidders and operational information about the past, ongoing and closed bids (USER, ITEM, AUCTION, BID).
• The static Web pages can be build using HTML/XHTML/DHTML and CSS. The Web site can contain 5-12 pages for supporting the synchronous or asynchronous operations as needed.
• The Web site must contain at least 5 servlets/JSPs to allow registering items (CatalogueItem), creating auctions (CreateAuction), searching for auctioned items (SearchItem or SearchAuction), watching auctions (WatchAuction), and bidding: (Bid). You may use either servlets or JSPs for dynamic server-side scripting.
Skills: servlets, design, dhtml