Job Title: Billing Specialist
Summary of Duties: Responsible for collecting, posting and managing account
payments. Responsible for submitting claims and following up with insurance
Supervision Received: Reports to Billing Supervisor or named Office Manager
1. Prepares and submits clean claims to various insurance companies either
electronically or by paper.
2. Answers questions from patients, clerical staff and insurance companies.
3. Identifies and resolves patient billing complaints.
4. Prepares, reviews and sends patient statements
5. Evaluates patient’s financial status and establishes budget payment plans. Follows
and reports status of delinquent accounts.
6. Reviews accounts for possible assignment and makes recommendations to the
Billing Supervisor, also prepares information for the collection agency.
7. Performs daily backups on office computer system
8. Performs various collection actions including contacting patients by phone,
correcting and resubmitting claims to third party payers.
9. Processes payments from insurance companies and prepares a daily deposit.
10. Participates in educational activities and attends monthly staff meetings.
11. Conducts self in accordance with HPA’s employee manual.
12. Maintains strictest confidentiality; adheres to all HIPAA guidelines/regulations.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
1. Knowledge of medical billing/collection practices.
2. Knowledge of computer programs.
3. Knowledge of business office procedures.
4. Knowledge of basic medical coding and third-party operating procedures and
5. Ability to operate a computer and basic office equipment.
6. Ability to operate a multi-line telephone system.
7. Skill in answering a telephone in a pleasant and helpful manner.
8. Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instructions.
9. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients,
employees and the public.
10. Must be well organized and detail-oriented.
Environmental/Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Occasional
overtime may be required and/or hours may be shortened as business needs dictate.
Physical Demands: Requires sitting and standing associated with a normal office
environment. Manual dexterity needed for using a calculator and computer keyboard.
Skills: billing, computer-literacy, english